From: Alessandro DE LAURENZIS <just22.adl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 10:20:33
1 I've just upgraded to the latest openrc version; I was aware of the
2 netifrc USE flag introduction
3 (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/275748). But so far
4 the presence of the newnet flag was actually a "switch" between the old
5 and the new network stack, given that one of the two should (must?) be
6 added in any case.
7 Now the presence of both netifrc and newnet could make a bit of
8 confusion, particularly from a user perspective. We have of course 4
9 cases; two of them are clear:
10 1) netifrc -newnet: "legacy" network stack;
11 2) -netifrc newnet: "new" network stack.
12
13 The other two cases need a clarification:
14 3) -netifrc -newnet: no network stack?!?
15 4) netifrc newnet: ???
16
17 This should be definitely documented somewhere (I didn't find anything).
18
19 And, the last question: what's the point to have two flags instead the
20 good old one?
21
22 Thanks for any clarification.
25 Alessandro DE LAURENZIS