From: Torsten Veller <tove@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] perl-5.10.1 status update
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:31:13
1 Many want it - very few help. That's perl-5.10 in Gentoo.
2
3 I am trying to outline the changes in the perl-experimental overlay. And
4 if there are no objections / better ideas, that will go into the tree.
5
6 After that I'll minimize my perl work if no more people join to help.
9 So these are the changes:
10
11 - sys-devel/libperl is obsolete
12 The shared libperl.so will be installed by dev-lang/perl and perl
13 will link it. No libperl.a will be installed.
14
15 - The PDEPEND modules will be removed...
16 As some dual-life modules (the packages in perl-core/ are also
17 installed by perl) install scripts which would collide, currently
18 the scripts are removed from dev-lang/perl and the package is added
19 to PDEPEND.
20 In 5.8.8 we have two such PDEPENDS, with 5.10 it might be ten.
21 The problem today is, we are not able to add perl-core/Encode
22 (#235904) without bumping dev-lang/perl.
23
24 - ...and the colliding scripts will be symlinked by alternatives.eclass
25
26 - perl modules must be reinstalled if any of the useflags 'ithreads' or
27 'debug' are changed. perl-cleaner-2 should do this correctly.
28 For minor version bumps of perl, the script probably needs further
29 tweaking to minimize the number of reinstalled packages.
30
31 That's what i remember.
32
33 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/perl-overlay.git