From: Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o>
To: steve.rodgers@××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: Fw: [gentoo-dev] mysql commercial
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:02:03
1 Steve,
4 >> so unless it's of real use to others I might just continue to support it myself.
5 >> I'm already packaging up other internal apps using a portage overlay.
8 I had several clients deploying mysql server clusters in large webfarms at the
9 start of this year and investigated the options for commercial support of mysql
10 under gentoo at that time. This investigation included attending the mysql
11 2004 user conference and talking to several decision makers within mysql
12 along with conversations with other gentoo developers and some discussion
13 on the gentoo-dev ml.
14
15 To summarize:
16 a) Mysql would not support gentoo unless the tree was somehow stable. This
17 meant either GLEP19 would have to become a reality or I would need to maintain
18 a generic commercial mysql profile/overlay for the indefinite future. If I could
19 provide either of these options, mysql would perform their own testing and eventually
20 add gentoo to the list of supported platforms.
21 b) Waiting or assisting GLEP19 seemed to be unlikely to reach maturity in any reasonable
22 time so I dropped that approach.
23 c) I started setting up the overlay/profile and commited some initial revisions to cvs, but
24 after talks with wolf10k2 and the rest of the releng team was convinced that I was getting
25 myself into more work than I could handle on my own.
26
27 At the same time that I was working on the above, mysql was announcing partnerships with
28 Dell and Redhat, such that if a commercially supported server running those platforms ever
29 went down, mysql would take over complete responsibility for bringing the system back
30 online (even if that meant bringing in dell and redhat techs to form a combined force).
31 Eventually my clients decided that the cost/benefit ratio of maintaining a 100% gentoo
32 server farm vs a hybrid redhat on db servers, gentoo on everything else farm was such
33 that the hybrid approach was the only realistic course to take.
34
35 As a systems administrator and developer, the result was a real frustration for me - but
36 sometimes you have to live with such compromises.
37
38 I thought I had removed the commercial-mysql profile from CVS. If I havent, I sincerely
39 apologize and will clean it up asap.
40
41 >> FYI - if you deploy an app which is non-gpl which links against mysql libs then
42 >> you need to deploy against a commercial version of mysql.
43 >> this is built and maintained in binary format by mysql - and requires
44 >> username/password to download.
47 OK. It sounds like you really dont care about their supporting the binaries, you are
48 just trying to fulfill your legal responsibilities. In that case, perhaps it does make
49 sense to add some kind of new ebuild or profile.
50
51 However, I dont think it would have broad appeal. The source built standard gentoo
52 mysql ebuilds are quite good. In fact, I prefer them over having to maintain the commercial
53 ones. Probably 99% of the interest in commercial binaries is for support, especially with
54 mysql 5 and database clusters. I dont see your ebuilds or profiles really addressing that.
55
56 Sincerely,
57 Matt
58 --