From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 03:28:09
1 > On 5 Jul 2022, at 04:24, Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:53:41PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:49:25PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
6 >>>> I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
11 >>>> in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
12 >>>> ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Of course, this is not a free ticket to always make changes to packages
15 >>>> that you do not maintain without prior consultation of the maintainer. I
16 >>>> would expect people to use their common sense to decide if a change may
17 >>>> require maintainer attention or not. In general, it is always a good
18 >>>> idea to communicate changes in every case.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> The absence of the flag does not automatically allow the conclusion that
21 >>>> the maintainer is opposed to non-maintainer commits. It just means that
22 >>>> the maintainer's stance is not known. I do not believe that we need a
23 >>>> <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> flag, but if the need arises, we
24 >>>> could always consider adding one. Although, in my experience, people
25 >>>> mostly like to communicate the "non-maintainer commits welcome" policy
26 >>>> with others.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> WDYT?
29 >>>
30 >>> Personally I think something per-maintainer rather than per package
31 >>> would be simpler, and allow to say more as needed.
32 >>
33 >> ... and that could also extend to projects so can clarify policy in
34 >> a single place that's easy to find.
35 >>
36 >> Like base-system@ probably do not want random uninformed commits,
37 >> but games@, sound@, and such?
38 >
39 > Also, for projects, presenting it more as exception rules makes sense.
40 > Especially for all these semi-random understaffed projects, there's
41 > really a handful that would have some "do nots".
44 >>>
45 >>> Think like devaway instructions, but something more permanent and
46 >>> not for being away, e.g.
47 >>> "feel free to touch my packages except this big important one, and
48 >>> or do or do not do this to them"
49 >
50 > -'or do' :eyes:
51 >
52 > To add more as an example, personally I don't mind non-maintainer commits
53 > but don't particularly want people to start full on bumping my packages
54 > when I /do/ intend to handle them in a timely fashion and probably had
55 > plans for them, perhaps even already a local WIP ebuild and such. So
56 > I'd likely have something along these lines. A simple tag feels like a
57 > bit too "free for all".
60 You've nailed something I was wondering about but couldn't
61 really articulate.
62
63 The only time I really care/don't want someone to do it:
64 - a package genuinely is snowflakey (which is the exception), like it's somehow fragile
65 - the situation is as you described
66
67 Almost makes one wonder about per-package notes again, although
68 it wouldn't fix the issue wrt projects.
69
70 Best,
71 sam