From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 18:58:48
1 On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 00:44 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 [...]
3 > So if you were a lazy Unix coder you'd just restrict the current rules a bit
4 > so that there's only one line starting with EAPI= allowed (or maybe you just
5 > take the first or last one, but that's annoying) and if no such line matches
6 > you can safely assume EAPI0
7 >
8 > Maybe you're very lazy, so you explicitly forbid eclasses from setting or
9 > changing EAPI. That also avoids weird effects that make you lose lots of time
10 > for debugging because you didn't think about what would happen if foo.eclass
11 > set EAPI="3.14" and bar.eclass inherited later set EAPI="1" ...
12 >
13 > And magically you haven't really changed current behaviour, can get the EAPI
14 > without sourcing it and you can be lazy once more. Isn't it great?
15
16 As I've stated a long time ago, I'm for this solution. My understanding
17 is that there are 2 objections to this:
18
19 1) We can't change the ebuild format to XML or what have you. I think
20 this is a problem to deal with *if it ever happens*. I am completely
21 against trying to solve a problem that will not exist in the foreseeable
22 future.
23
24 2) There might be a performance impact for cases where the metadata is
25 uncached - I think the impact is acceptable in the face of the fugliness
26 added by putting the EAPI in the ebuild's name (Joe Peterson summarise
27 this quite well earlier [1]).
28
29 Really, the key issue seems to be (1), because there's no other good
30 reason to be trying to adopt this GLEP.
31
32 -- Arun
33
34 [1]