From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [g2boojum@gentoo.org: glep 27 thoughts]
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:18:36
1 On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 10:03 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > I sent the following to SpanKY a while back as my thoughts on how to
3 > move GLEP 27 away from xml (which the portage devs would really rather
4 > avoid). It has his tentative approval, so now I'd like to get some
5 > general comments. GLEP 27 is a really good idea, and it would be nice
6 > to have it implemented.
7 >
8 > -g2boojum-
9 > ----- Forwarded message from Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> -----
10 >
11 > From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
12 > Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:37:03 -0600
13 > To: vapier@g.o
14 > User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.6i
15 > Subject: glep 27 thoughts
16 >
17 > I've been thinking a bit about how to make uid/gid handling work w/o
18 > needing xml. It seems like it ought to be simple enough to replace
19 > the xml files with simple plain-text files which look like the
20 > following:
21 >
22 > # cat groups/dovecot
23 > gid = 97
24 >
25 > # cat users/dovecot
26 > uid = 97
27 > shell = /bin/false
28 > home = /dev/null
29 > groups = dovecot, foo, bar
30 > gecos = Added by portage for dovecot # (normally autogenerated)
31 >
32 > Essentially, these files would just contain the same information as what
33 > one would use w/ groupadd and useradd, but w/ more readable syntax.
34 >
35 > I'm also thinking that instead of putting these files in
36 > portage/profiles/accounts, perhaps we should permit an "accounts"
37 > directory in each stage of a cascading profile, thus moving the platform
38 > logic (linux vs hurd vs *bsd vs whatever) from the user and group files
39 > (which, in the original glep, would list info for all supported
40 > platforms) to the cascading profiles (default-linux, default-bsd/fbsd,
41 > etcetera).
44 What about the libconf project ? Can't we still put that to use somehow
45 (sorry, don't know the details anymore of it) to solve this issue?
49 Martin Schlemmer
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
51 Cape Town, South Africa