From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev coldplugging and /etc/init.d/modules
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:53:58
1 On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 12:25 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
2 > > Here's a question, then. Is there a way, after boot, to cause udev to
3 > > attempt to detect and load modules? Basically, is there a way to
4 > > emulate the old behavior of the "coldplug" init script? This would be
5 > > very useful for our LiveCD builds, since we've lost the ability to do
6 > > "nohotplug" on the command line to disable cold plugging.
7 >
8 > You can re-run /sbin/udevtrigger if you want to.
9
10 Nice.
11
12 > But why do it later? Why not just let udev do it at the start of boot?
13
14 Well, it's pretty simple, we don't always want udev to do it.
15
16 > What do you gain by delaying this?
17
18 Delaying? Nothing.
19
20 Allowing it to be disabled from the kernel command line is what I am
21 looking for, here. Basically, we would disable udev cold plugging by
22 default. Then, when we're actually to the point of being a bit more in
23 control of the system, we check the kernel command line. If "nohotplug"
24 is there, we do nothing. If it isn't, then we'd run /sbin/udevtrigger.
25 This would "coldplug" the devices, but still allow us to retain
26 functionality that we used to have with older coldplug versions.
27
28 The only issue that we're now facing is that to disable coldplug also
29 disables their services being auto-started, which means that even if we
30 do run udevtrigger later, the services for those devices won't be
31 started. I'm sure there's some solution to this, but this is really why
32 I've been dreading newer udev versions going stable. While the newer
33 versions are better, no doubt, it means we have to rethink how most of
34 the auto-detection and configuration is done on the LiveCD.
35
36 There have been many times where coldplug tried to load a driver that
37 caused problems for the user, and being able to disable that driver
38 being loaded has allowed them to continue to boot. With a coldplug that
39 cannot be disabled arbitrarily, we cannot do this.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
44 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
45 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
46 Gentoo Foundation