From: "Crowfoot
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Cc: tvon@×××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] man fails under tcsh
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:23:53
1 Man fails under csh/tcsh due to lack of PAGER setting in /etc/man.conf
2
3 Standard man ebuild forces a pre-built /etc/man.conf with PAGER left
4 blank. This confuses csh/tcsh when parsing the internally-constructed
5 shell command, since an null string appears after the last "|" in the
6 command string.
7
8 The man problem under tcsh is the lack of definition for a "pager." The
9 answer is to define the PAGER option in /etc/man.conf. And the reason
10 the PAGER line is not filled in is the /etc/man.conf is overwritten by
11 /usr/portage/sys-apps/man/files/man.conf at the last minute during the
12 process! In other words, all the world of building the conf in man is
13 blown out by the ebuild .... The fix? Comment out the install:
14
15 #doins ${FILESDIR}/man.conf
16
17 and use the man.conf file that man creates.
18
19 Other option is to edit man.conf to
20
21 PAGER less -is
22
23 or equivalent.
26 -----Original Message-----
27 From: Tom von Schwerdtner [mailto:tvon@×××××.org]
28 Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 2:59 PM
29 To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
30 Cc: Crowfoot, Norman (CCI-Atlanta)
31 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man fails under tcsh
34 > man breaks when the login shell is csh or tcsh . . .
35
36 can you be more specific? man works fine for me.
37
38 Also, there seems to be a tcsh bug in which it tries to parse LS_COLORS
39 or
40 somethign related. Attempting to login to bash and then invoke tcsh
41 fails
42 with "unknown colorls variable: 'do'" (off the top of my head). I dont
43 know much about this, but whomever is maintaining the tcsh ebuild may
44 want
45 to look deeper.
46
47 -T