From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:58:07
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Thu Mar 30 2006, 07:40:47AM EST]
2 > Is there a concensus out of this thread, on the topic of
3 > a distributed VCS? :) Preferrably from devs who will actually want
4 > overlays? :)
5
6 I don't think there's a consensus really, but here's what I'd suggest
7 based on what people have said:
8
9 In a nutshell, all three of darcs, git and mercurial are powerful and
10 suited to the task. Darcs is clearly controversial. It has momentum
11 because it's already used by the haskell team's overlay. But its
12 reliance on ghc, which doesn't work on mips and is a non-system
13 dependency, means that it's not favored for more general overlays.
14
15 I think we might be best to try three revision control systems to
16 start: darcs, git and subversion. Three seems like a lot, but each
17 has its reason, and we can anticipate darcs being used primarily by
18 the haskell team rather than for overlays in general.
19
20 Regarding the question of mercurial vs. git, I previously recommended
21 mercurial over git. At this point other devs have made the case for
22 git, so I'm happy to give it a try.
23
24 How does this go over? :-)
25