From: John David Robinson <strider@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:55:47
1 On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 20:56 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:36:26 -0500 John David Robinson
3 > <strider@××××××.net> wrote:
4 > | Even if you don't agree with or understand them, or decide against
5 > | their objections in the end, their opinions are just as worthy of
6 > | respect and consideration as yours.
7 >
8 > They are? What about people who are of the opinion that the earth is
9 > flat? Or people who think that JFK was assassinated by aliens who crash
10 > landed their UFOs at Roswell? Or people who think that wearing magnetic
11 > bracelets is good for your health? Or people who think that Avril
12 > Lavigne has made a valuable cultural contribution to humanity? Or people
13 > who think that DJB is the best thing since sliced bread? Or emacs users
14 > who indent their Java source code using tabs? Should I respect their
15 > opinions too?
16
17 Heh. Those Java tabbers... they just boil my blood. =)
18
19 I'm not trying to start a massive thread here or anything. I think I
20 understand you. Yes, some opinions or beliefs people hold are (to me,
21 too) laughable. But making light of them still offends people in whose
22 lives those issues actually matter. I just wanted to bring that out.
23
24 The particular opinions you made fun of are much more widely held than
25 JFK's assassination by aliens. Some people who read this forum found
26 your post funny; some found it offensive. It's clear that this comes as
27 a surprise to some people, and not at all to others. That's all I
28 really wanted to make clear.
29
30 - John
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list