From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automated extended information gathering
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 05:04:34
1 On Sunday 08 July 2007, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > Ok, I've re-thought some of my ideas and tried to come up with a more
3 > concise explanation
4 > with some practical example syntax. The basic concept of 'check' was
5 > 'this will work even if the package aint installed yet' and info was
6 > 'for working but bust packages only', but that can be superceded with
7 > a CHECKLIST and a conditional driven INFO function.
8
9 as they say, the devil is in the details ...
10
11 > pkg_getinfo(){
12 > if [[ installed ]]; then
13 > someSelfCheck;
14 > someSelfCheck;
15 > echo someversionNumberStuff;
16 > fi
17 > someBasicSystemCheckRequiredForPkgToWork();
18 > if [[ someCondition ]]; then
19 > get_info( some-cat/d-lib ); # its not on the dep list, but we want
20 > to check its info status as part of /our/ info status.
21 > fi
22 > }
23
24 the claim i'm making is that there generally isnt any code/checks worth adding
25 to ebuilds that would be useful for the purpose of an ebuild diagnosing
26 itself to determine whether it is broken and how it is broken. we just dont
27 have a language yet to properly describe the process of diagnosing and fixing
28 oneself. a fun thesis for an AI doctorate :p
29 -mike