From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 06:22:32
1 Daniel Campbell (zlg) posted on Mon, 03 Aug 2015 16:38:59 -0700 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > So say I want to have an ownCloud instance that provides a single /usr
5 > or /etc for any Gentoo system that wants it on my local network. Is that
6 > a use case that would benefit from this new mounting?
7
8 Well, both /etc/ and /usr/ would have the same problems as separate
9 partitions that they do now, particularly /etc/, in that you quickly run
10 into a chicken and egg problem trying to put /etc/ on non-root, because
11 that's where all the configuration that tells the system how to mount
12 other filesystems including the would-be /etc is placed.
13
14 But it should work for /home , /svr, /var/www, and any user-optional
15 mounts like /multimedia or whatever. It should also work for /var/log,
16 tho that might require a bit more dependency futzing in other services,
17 and potentially /var itself. And it /might/ work for /usr, tho that's
18 tending toward more problematic as time goes on, since the leading
19 distros don't usually support that except when mounted in initr*, these
20 days.
21
22 But the only practical way to do /etc as a separate mount is with it
23 mounted in the initr*, and I /think/ that has been at least the norm, not
24 the exception, since at least shortly after initr* was introduced, and
25 possibly since /etc itself was introduced to Unix, pre-Linux. It has
26 certainly been that way since I got into Linux at the turn of the century.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman