From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: heroxbd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: baselayout 2.5 changes
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 18:49:43
1 On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:07:59AM +0900, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi William,
3 >
4 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> writes:
5 >
6 > > The second change is that baselayout is taking ownership of most of the
7 > > directories it creates. This includes all directories in / and /usr
8 > > excluding /lib* and /usr/lib*. Once we drop support for SYMLINK_LIB,
9 > > baselayout will take ownership of /lib* and /usr/lib* as well.
10 >
11 > This is an abrupt change that will affect many users. I suggest a
12 > lengthy explanation (blog post, wiki page or important emails) to be
13 > attached as a reference in this news item.
14 >
15 > So a user will be able to study the rationales behind this change before
16 > unmasking baselayout-2.5 on their machines.
17
18 Baselayout currently goes out of its way not to own these, but there's
19 no rationale documented anywhere for why it does this.
20
21 From what I've seen in some testing I've done, it shouldn't break
22 anything. I will test again before I actually push the release on
23 another machine.
24
25 William