From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage irk...
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:03:37
1 Louis-Philippe Brochu said:
2 > The problem comes when you are using stable *and* unstable *and* emerge
3 > world command. Try to emerge world a mix of stable and unstable packages
4 > and see all the packages downgrades. Try to define ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, now
5 > Portage wants to install all unstable packages. Mask the old version of
6 > unstable packages you installed (or just remove them from the world
7 > file) and watch Portage trying to resolve a dependency for another
8 > packages and downgrade your package anyway... The only thing Portage
9 > need is a "don't-ever-downgrade-my-packages" function IMHO.
10
11 Pin the package in the world file like so:
12
13 =foobar-1.2
14
15 Will not attempt to upgrade foobar and keep it at version 1.2
16
17 >=foobar-1.5
18
19 Will not install versions <= 1.5 of foobar
22 Now regarding your complaint about not being able to pick 'n' mix
23 stable/unstable packages. Have you ever tried to run a Debian system that
24 is a mix of Debian stable and unstable? I don't think it can be done
25 easily or cleanly.
26
27 RPM distros fare a little better but try installing 1 or 2 packages from
28 Mandrake Cooker onto a Mandrake stable system, RPM dependency hell here we
29 come.
30
31 If you are not patient enough to wait for a package to be tranistioned to
32 stable, then you are going to have to accept that not everything will work
33 "the way you want it to" with unstable packages.
36 Troy Dack
37
38 http://linux.tkdack.com
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list