From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 00:33:11
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:27:14 -0700
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It's not like there is a shortage of
5 > packages that install crappy crap on your system...
6
7 In this instance I agree that we're kinda stressing about the wrong
8 thing.
9
10 But I can't support that reasoning.
11
12 "There is bad stuff in tree so why not have more" is not a great line
13 of reasoning.
14
15 We want things to be *better*, we should shy away from that reasoning.
16
17 The *reason* here is "user choice".
18
19 As much as Gentoo developers may have problems with steam, user-choice
20 orientation dictates we should at least consider supporting it in some
21 regard, and if we can do so without affecting the people who don't want
22 steam, we should also strive to do that.
23
24 And we *can*.
25
26 That's why its better as an independent thing, not as core mechanics in
27 libpcre.