From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wireless driver / firmware ebuilds & wireless-tools
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 05:25:58
1 Stroller wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 ..... farrrrr tooooo long.............
5 >
6 > Stroller.
9 In summary and simple conclusion, yes you are wrong. So that makes 2 out
10 of the 4 or 5 active Mobile herd devs who say you're wrong. brix is 100%
11 correct. Let me give you an explaination....
14 "The firmware itself does not depend on wireless-tools for operation.
15 DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND in ebuilds are not for what you might
16 want to use along with the package in question - it is for technical
17 dependencies such as libraries and utilities."
18
19 There ya go. Explained. In fact, you actually explained the logical
20 reason in your e-mail, surprised you didn't notice it. But I'll
21 highlight it for you.
22
23 acx100 and rt2500 contain drivers. prism54 is a driver. ipw2200 is a
24 driver. They depend on wireless-tools. The firmware, which in 2 of these
25 cases are in seperate packages, do not depend on wireless-tools. And for
26 a last example which I just thought of... ndiswrapper acts the sameway.
27 Considering the Windows drivers are more of a "firmware" and ndiswrapper
28 is the driver.
31 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/