From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow, commit messages
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 12:28:34
1 Sunday 09 Aug 2015 20:17:57, Patrick Lauer wrote :
2 > On Sunday 09 August 2015 08:06:53 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I hate to be a nag, but please read
6 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow. In particular, commit
7 > > messages. I'm seeing lots of cvs style messages going in and without
8 > > history it will be hard to figure out what happened just from the
9 > > message. Particularly, we should prepend "CATEGORY/PN: " to the first
10 > > line so we can easily search git log for what happened to a package.
11 >
12 > Lazy me says:
13 >
14 > Can't we make repoman do that?
17 We should delegate this task to git and set up a hook for this kind of checks.
18
19 http://git-scm.com/docs/githooks
20
21 I'm not going to copy and paste what's on the website but a hook is basically a
22 script that gets executed post/pre commits/push/[insert action here].
23
24 Hooks can be written in any programming language.
25
26 If we take the concept event further, even repoman itself could go away..