From: Ken <ken@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] virtual mailhosting howto - update
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:05:52
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 This is a follow up email regarding the virtual mailhosting howto I
4 submitted. I'd like to address some questions that were brought up and
5 also submit the updated howto. I'm not sure exactly what the process is
6 from here to complete the submission, so if anyone could fill me in that
7 would be appreciated.
8
9 Thanks,
12 Ken
13 "I'm just re-do"
14 ken@×××××××××××××.com
15
16 >I like too much your howto !!! :)
17
18 >A simple question:
19 >You have made all the big system, with mysql. Any info on porting
20 >everything with LDAP?
21
22 Thank you! Well, I don't currently know anything about LDAP. But I would
23 be happy to work with someone to make this happen. I'd really like to
24 learn LDAP anyway.
25
26 > My question is: apart from unifying the user data, "transport" and
27 >"virtual" data into one database, what other advantages does mysql have
28 >in your setup? Does the unification of these three files warrant the
29 >overhead of installing/using mysql? From what I see, the setup you are
30 >using is *much more* involved than the one I use. Although to be fair I
31 >do not use smtpd auth and I don't know how it would plug into userdb.
34 The main advantages that I see this having over userdb style setup is the
35 ability to script php interfaces for management. With a userdb setup, you
36 can script management functions, however, with the sql setup, I can add
37 php interfaces and allow end users to manage their own domains email. This
38 system can handle quite a bit of load and I'd hate to be stuck having to
39 do the changes everytime someone wanted to add a new email address.
40 Another thing about mysql, you can have interfaces on any networked box,
41 and possibly combine other functions, authing against the same sql DB.
42
43 >PS. considered adding Spamassassin to the guide? here are two very
44 >helpfull links:
45
46 Thank you for the links, I've been meaning to get around to researching
47 how to integrate anti-spam software. I'll see how that goes.
48
49 >- Add a reference to /var/log/mail/current in the postfix section - first
50 >place
51 > people should look to find out what postfix is doing / doing wrong.
52
53 Done.
54
55 >- Replace the nano references with "nano -w". I'm used to fixing
56 >pico/nano's
57 > auto-wrapping, but I'm sure it's confusing for people who're new to
58 this, >and
59 > it's probably more consistent with the other gentoo docs.
62 Done. Both great suggestions, thank you.
63
64 >You have to perform a *full* server restart when you added or removed a
65 >certificate and/or key file
66
67 Thanks for the tip, I had no idea apache ssl was so finicky. I added a
68 note regarding this to the howto.
69
70 >crypt(0) -- Used to decide to use MySQL's PASSWORD() function or crypt()
71 > 0 = No encryption.
72
73 Howto changed to match the readme. Thanks to Kyle O'Donnell for this catch.
77 Thanks to everyone for sending me updates/fixes for the howto. It is much
78 appreciated.

virt-mail-howto.xml text/xml