From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:07:45
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 21.09.2017 kell 22:54, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > W dniu czw, 21.09.2017 o godzinie 23∶33 +0300, użytkownik Mart
3 > Raudsepp
4 > napisał:
5 > > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 21.09.2017 kell 21:56, kirjutas Michał Górny:
6 > > > Hi, everyone.
7 > > >
8 > > > TL;DR: I'm looking for new people to resume work on sandbox, and
9 > > > I
10 > > > will
11 > > > most likely branch it at v2.10 and start keep-alive work on top
12 > > > of
13 > > > that.
14 > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > The state of our sandbox is not very well. Gentoo is currently
17 > > > using
18 > > > the old v2.10 with local patches. v2.11 is p.masked for a long
19 > > > time
20 > > > because of multiple unsolved bugs. The git repository also
21 > > > includes
22 > > > v2.12 tag that has not even been packaged for Gentoo. From what
23 > > > I've
24 > > > been able to establish, the bugs causing v2.11 mask are still
25 > > > present
26 > > > in git head.
27 > > >
28 > > > To add to this, the only person maintaining the code (vapier) has
29 > > > not
30 > > > touched it since March, and AFAIA he's not responding to any
31 > > > contact
32 > > > attempts from within Gentoo. Given this and the importance of
33 > > > sandbox
35 > > > Gentoo at the moment, I think it's reasonable to presume he's MIA
36 > > > and start looking for volunteers to join the effort.
37 > > >
38 > > > I have already added myself to the project page [1] and I'm going
40 > > > try
41 > > > to put some effort into improving the state of things. However,
42 > > > I'm
43 > > > not
44 > > > really an expert in the high magic used in sandbox. If anyone is
45 > > > interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself as well.
46 > > >
47 > > >
48 > > > The above considered, I don't think I'm really going to be able
50 > > > solve
51 > > > the problems introduced by v2.11. If nobody has a better idea,
52 > > > I'm
53 > > > going
54 > > > to branch sandbox at v2.10 and look into backporting whatever's
55 > > > feasible
56 > > > and resuming development in hotfix mode on top of that.
57 > >
58 > > Do you have a handy list of problems with v2.11?
59 > > Perhaps all is well for Gentoo usages after the more ptrace-happy
60 > > fallbacking commit (apparently was needed by ChromeOS) is reverted
61 > > if
62 > > ptrace-path problems don't get fixes?
65 > There are two bugs listed in p.mask reason. There's a lot of bugs on
66 > Bugzilla but I don't know which versions they affect.
69 #580726 comes from the ptrace thing I mentioned. I identified the
70 commit that makes it fallback to ptrace for firefox case, while it
71 seemed to work fine before without fallback, and then there are issues
72 in that ptrace codepath that might have always been there, but they
73 just didn't get hit due to ptrace fallback being much rarer before
74 this. I believe the commit hash is mentioned on the bug.
75
76 #578582 seems to be just patrick being special and refusing to provide
77 any information about the bug that no-one else hits.
78
79 Maybe if we revert that more easy ptrace fallback stuff for now, the
80 rest in sandbox git master is fine (if my opendir fix gets applied
81 that's only patched in via ebuild right now)?
82
83 Mart