From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Can we stop wasting time and bandwidth? (was: The fallacies of GLEP55)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 05:59:03
1 Why do we let utterly *useless* discussions eat into our precious
2 developer time?
3
4 Why is it that this thread has 500 replies, but Mart's
5 maintainer-wanted thread has less than 10?
6
7 I *do not care* if the ebuild format will not be "properly extensible"
8 when the need arises. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
9
10 I *do not care* if support for live ebuilds is perfect. The three
11 major consumers of live ebuilds (x11, kde, and gnome) are *NOT*
12 complaining.
13
14 Why is the council spending so much time on *utterly useless*
15 discussions? Have we eliminated all other problems facing Gentoo that
16 we now have time for enhancements of questionable value in the near
17 future?
18
19 I would like to petition the Council to _strongly_ discourage such
20 discussion, and not to waste it's own time on things like this.
21
22 Hell, in my opinion EAPI-3 is a m00t discussion when we have entire
23 herds and archs wasting away due to inadequate developer resources and
24 users constantly being discouraged and turned away.
25
26 Let's not blatantly ignore our REAL problems. We can no longer afford
27 to maintain the status-quo of pedantic masturbatory discussions on the
28 finer points of ebuild formats. We cannot AFFORD to look the other way
29 while the distro rots away.
32 ~Nirbheek Chauhan who is extremely worried by this denial-syndrome in
33 the gentoo community.