From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:12:10
1 On 2014.06.30 16:40, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 30/06/14 11:36 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3
4 [snip]
7 > > But... if you unmask it, someone will test it and report whether
8 > > it works :P.
11 > But... if I unmask it, -everyone- using ~arch will install it and
12 > it'll break all the systems that it doesn't work on, which -could- be
13 > quite a lot at this point. :D
18 Yep. The good old days ... X11 going modular ... expat-2 and a few
19 others that I've forgotten.
20 There was no news then so if you missed an email to the list you got to
21 pick up the pieces. Those examples may well be me missing emails.
22
23 I've run ~arch since mid 2002 and until the last few years always had a
24 few builds fail or things build then operate so badly they needed to be
25 p.masked locally. That's what buildpkg is for ... so that after you
26 spend 10 hours building *office and find out its a dud, you can back it
27 out in a few minutes.
30 Regards,
31
32 Roy Bamford