From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:20:19
1 On 28/02/14 16:59, hasufell wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen:
3 > > It would be very helpful if INSTALL_MASK could be overriden from
4 > > an ebuild, if user hasn't set otherwise. So it could be configured
5 > > like USE_ORDER which is
6 > > "env:pkg:conf:defaults:pkginternal:repo:env.d" So
7 > > INSTALL_MASK_ORDER like "ebuild:${user's own INSTALL_MASK}" This
8 > > would be very helpful in preventing people from shooting themself
9 > > in the foot
10 >
11 > > The only problem is that I propably don't have enough python skills
12 > > to make that happen w/ sys-apps/portage. But does the suggestion
13 > > make sense? Should I open a feature request bug?
16 > Introducing something like INSTALL_MASK_ORDER gives the user
17 > effectively more ways to shoot himself in the foot, especially when
18 > ebuilds start to rely on INSTALL_MASK in non-trivial ways (and I am
19 > sure people will come up with stuff).
20 >
21 > Besides that, it is a very intrusive change of behavior.
22 >
23 > Anyway... I don't care about people who break their systems in such
24 > stupid ways. It's not more dangerous than one of the other thousand
25 > things you can do to break gentoo, such as "--nodeps".
26 >
27 > They gotta handle it.
28
29 I'm okay with that. That's how I see it too. I was merely trying to
30 propose a solution
31 for some users (and even few developers).
32
33 At least I have this thread now I can refer them to in gmane, to show it
34 was discussed
35 and the general consensus is what it is and that they have to take
36 responsibility for
37 their INSTALL_MASK, not me, or any other ebuild maintainer.