From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:25:26
1 On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 09:01 +0100, Martin Gysel wrote:
2
3 > if you're on x86/amd64 and want to prepare a sdcard for e.g. arm. you
4 > extract the stage3 to the card but then you can't just chroot and emerge
5 > netifrc...
6 > on the other hand, as long as busybox' default config includes a dhcp
7 > client one can always call it manually, unfortunately to do so. you need
8 > to have access to the system which isn't always guaranteed without network.
9 > so I strongly vote against exclude a default network stack for stage3.
10 > why not introduce a stage3 set which includes @system and other
11 > important packages like the default network stack?
12 >
13 > /martin
14
15 Actually, it's quite easy to chroot into an arm rootfs on amd64/x86 if
16 you have qemu or qemu-user installed. I do this on a daily basis. It's
17 really not difficult at all.
18
19 -- Steev