From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for User Feedback
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:39:04
1 Hi all,
2
3 Just an idea: what if users (those who agree, of course), when doing emerge
4 rsync, transmit to the gentoo server anonymous info on which packages they
5 have installed? If not, maybe at least the developers?
6
7 The rationale: I have twice now faced a problem where a complex ebuild I
8 built and commited quite some time ago wasn't functioning. And I said to
9 myself, this is a very important program who's ebuild isn't working! If this
10 was a generic problem I would be flooded with emails from the other people
11 who use it! And I wanted to find these other people who used it, but there
12 were none among the gentoo developers, and I couldn't contact any of the
13 users.
14
15 This way, we'll know what ebuilds are *known* to work properly - at least
16 under some h/w configurations - and most importantly, in what combinations
17 and revisions. And it will give the users a painless way to help us.
18
19 Finally, we'll also know what packages are most often used, in what
20 combinations, and thus (as far as we work for our users) what areas to
21 concentrate upon.
22
23 What do you think?
28 Dan Armak