From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: Graveyard project
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 01:56:56
1 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > > Ah, I always thought of overlays as places where apps tend to reside,
3 > > but of course you could have glibc in there for all we know... Good
4 > > point...
5 >
6 > Welcome to the life of your average Gentoo ebuild maintainer.
7
8 Stop complaining (and with foul language! come on, you sound like
9 an idiot, which seems unneccessary) and let's think about solutions.
10
11 Do I understand correctly that you consider the problem to be that
12 it's not clear whether a system in a bug report has ebuilds from an
13 overlay in the dependency chain or not?
14
15 A very low resolution solution would be a tainted flag like the one
16 in the kernel, but perhaps we can do something a bit better.
17
18 emerge could output this information sometime before src_unpack. It
19 would be very visible in every emerge log, and it would certainly be
20 helpful for everyone who understands overlays - it's certainly easy
21 to imagine that it could completely preempt some invalid bug reports.
22
23 If I do an emerge I typically know if I want dependencies out of an
24 overlay or not.
25
26 Another potentially interesting vector is to add overlay policies to
27 ebuilds, although this means introducing arbitrary limitations, which
28 generally doesn't make sense.
31 I'm sure there are more and better interesting solutions to this
32 problem. Let's hear?
35 //Peter