From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:13:56
1 On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:43:49PM +0200, Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Which I did. I don't have openrc in /etc/portage/package.use, so it was
3 > emerged with default USE flags ( if you count default as in "as set in
4 > make.conf" ). emerge -pv openrc woould emerge it as:
5 >
6 > sys-apps/openrc-0.5.1 [0.4.3-r4] USE="ncurses oldnet%* pam unicode -debug"
7 >
8 > ... which means with "oldnet" flag.
9
10 In that case, if your system was broken, I'm sure the maintainers would
11 like to know about and would like to know how you fixed it, since it
12 was a different issue.
13
14 > And whenever I tried it, it broke my system.
15
16 Please file a bug.
17
18 We need to know all steps and all details of what happened when you did
19 the upgrade. Did you use etc-update or something similar to update all
20 of your configuration files? What happened when you attempted to
21 reboot? From what you described in your original email there is not
22 enough information to tell us what was going on.
23
24 > > If you accept the defaults and it doesn't work, I will gladly agree that
25 > > there is a major regression and the package should be masked. On the
26 > > other hand, if the new network scripts do not work, I don't see that as
27 > > a show stopper. Yes, I would agree that there should be a warning about
28 > > turning off the oldnet use flag, but I don't think this warrants masking
29 > > the ebuild, unless I am missing something. If I am, definitely let me
30 > > know.
31 > I don't feel comfortable with your philosophy. It doesn't matter how
32 > obvious matters seem to you, your changes can affect many people in many
33 > situations and configurations, not necessarily allways without unforseen
34 > consequences.
35
36 Agreed. However, it is also impossible for developers to test packages
37 on every possible system with every possible configuration, so there
38 will be times, if you are running ~arch, that things may not work right.
39 If that happens, the best thing you can do is file a bug so that we can
40 try to fix the issue.
41
42 As was said earlier in this thread, the person who put it in the tree
43 tested it, and he had several others test it with no problems. Also, he
44 did follow upstream's recommendation and configure the new openrc to use
45 the old network scripts. So, if there is an issue, we need to know
46 about it.
47
48 > I understand that Gentoo is not for pussies and that you can't make an
49 > ISO-9001 procedure for every change with every user, but it would really
50 > be nice to have at least some _basic_ safety, like mentioning changes in
51 > eselect news, or at least on home page of the package.
52
53 I'm sure that any documentation issues will be taken care of by the time
54 the package goes stable.
55
56 For the record, I am not a maintainer of openrc either, but my
57 experience was that that there was no change to be made since I stayed
58 with the old network scripts. Like I said above, maybe there should
59 have been a warning to not try to switch to the new scripts yet unless
60 you were willing to test them, but I don't see why it should have
61 prevented ~arch users from getting the package.
65 William Hubbs
66 gentoo accessibility team lead
67 williamh@g.o