From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:13:34
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:07:29 -0500
2 Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > People are struggling with the one level scheme we have now. We're
5 > > already having to produce fancy tables and summaries for new EAPIs
6 > > because people can't keep track of when features came along. Two
7 > > levels just means no-one will remember any of it.
8 >
9 > I disagree with your assertion that people are struggling - I think
10 > things are very nicely documented in PMS and the devmanual, which are
11 > where all EAPI changes should be documented in the future, regardless
12 > if you specify the EAPI in the file, the extension, or both.
13
14 They only ended up nicely documented after people moaned a lot that
15 they were having a hard time keeping track of EAPIs...
16
17 > Two levels really just means that any fancy tables will have to have
18 > one extra row (or perhaps a series of fancy tables) and any summaries
19 > will have to have an extra section added whenever a new filename
20 > extension becomes necessary.
21
22 It'll mean people will carry on having to use the tables, and won't
23 start remembering things as time goes on.
24
25 > If I understand the '.eapi3.eb' to which you make passing reference,
26 > this is just a fancy hand-wavy way to say "Look, the true .eb
27 > extension won't ever change, just the .eapi3 part which isn't
28 > technically the extension..." which isn't a compromise at all - It's
29 > an attempt to (cleverly?) obfuscate where in the filename the EAPI is
30 > stored.
31
32 Yup. And yet there're people who are perfectly happy with .eapi3.eb who
33 hate GLEP 55. That should tell you all you need to know about what's
34 going on here...
37 Ciaran McCreesh