From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:30:35
1 On Thursday 14 October 2004 2:49 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:43:11 -0700 Mark Dierolf <mark@×××.com> wrote:
3 > | I've been watching this discussion as far as tree size, and i'm
4 > | suprised nobody has brought the idea of on-demand downloading yet.
5 >
6 > Nobody has mentioned it because it has been discussed and dismissed as
7 > unworkable several times before.
8
9 It's quite workable. Every binary distro does it. From what I can see, Portage
10 devs just don't see as much a benefit since the tree is much smaller than,
11 for example, an entire copy of all binary packages Debian provides.
12