From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 02:03:03
1 Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > > I would actually expect the change to take effect immediately.
3 >
4 > Then how would you be able to shutdown / reboot your system in a clean
5 > way? The premise here is that when you boot with an init system you
6 > must shutdown with that same init system, you can't just start one init
7 > system and expect the other init system to cleanly shut down its
8 > services.
9
10 Taking effect immediately of course does not mean that if I booted
11 using systemd and switched to openrc that systemd will be killed.
12 That idea makes absolutely no sense, it simply can not work. In
13 theory systemd could support execl() sysvinit and vice versa, but
14 I find that unlikely. The "take effect immediately" I believe that
15 you understood me to mean is simply impossible.
16
17 By take effect I mean that the filesystem should be modified in such
18 a way that the next boot will use what I selected. No further action
19 which could fail should be required beyond the eselect command.
20
21 Unless the eselect command has successfully modified the filesystem I
22 can't really know that my system will boot with what I have selected,
23 ie. eselect does not provide any useful feedback, because it can not.
26 //Peter