From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last Rites: Ancient x11-drivers/*
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 02:02:40
1 On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Richard Bradfield <bradfier@×××××.me> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:24:24PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Very few if any users. They break occasionally with new xserver
5 >> versions, and then I have to do the leg work to fix them, make the
6 >> upstream releases, and then push them into Gentoo. Again, for between
7 >> zero and one person to use.
8 >> ...
9 >> x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting
12 > I guess I should put my hand up and admit to being "the one user" for
13 > this driver. I've got an ancient netbook with an Intel GMA3600, for
14 > which there is no accelerated Xorg driver, which means I'm stuck with
15 > xf86-video-modesetting.
16
17 You must not have updated in quite a while if it's still installed on
18 your system. The driver has been included in the xserver since 1.17
19 (with the appropriate blocker).
20
21 The driver's not going away, just the separate package :)