From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:17:14
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2015 04:31 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
3 >> WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO DICTATE users what they should use and what they should
4 >> not.
5 >
6 > You should really either reconsider your understanding of opensource or
7 > start to pay me.
8 >
9 > Gentoo is for the most part GPL-2 and you can fork, change and
10 > redistribute it any way you want. We are not dictating anything.
11
12 ++
15 > Given the fact that we are short on manpower and that most part of the
16 > linux ecosystem is moving towards gtk3... there has been no good
17 > argument to support a toolkit version - that is (about to be) deprecated
18 > - for exotic corner use cases that people tried to come up with in the
19 > heat of the argument.
22 So, my issue is really with the proposition that we need a "good
23 argument" to support a toolkit version in the first place.
24
25 If the Firefox maintainers want to support two toolkit versions, more
26 power to them.
27
28 Gentoo is volunteer-based, and not a zero-sum game. If you tell
29 somebody that they're not allowed to support A in the tree, that
30 doesn't mean that they'll have more time to support B instead. It
31 probably just means that they'll spend less time contributing to
32 Gentoo. In fact, if being prevented from supporting A makes Gentoo
33 less useful to them overall, they might just move to some other distro
34 and then not only do you lose A, but you lose C, D, and E.
35
36 That might be inefficient, but it is the result of depending on free
37 labor. That's why we can have 400 unique window managers for X11 but
38 only one guy working in his spare time on openssl. People work on the
39 stuff that interests them, not necessarily on what is most needed by
40 the general public.
41
42 The Firefox maintainers don't have to have a good reason to support
43 two versions of gtk. As long as it generally builds/runs and complies
44 with security policy then they're allowed to do that, and our users
45 are better off for it.
46
47 You could look at any USE flag in the distro and make a case for how
48 we could probably get by without it. After all, most distros don't
49 have USE flags at all and they seem to get by.
50
51 If somebody wants to go invent x32 in their spare time and maintain it
52 on Gentoo, more power to them, even if only 3 people use it. I think
53 stuff like this is where Gentoo actually contributes the most to the
54 FOSS ecosystem. We're a breeding ground for crazy but innovative
55 ideas and the best ones can get stolen by everybody else. And just
56 like openssl nobody gives us much credit for it, but that's not why we
57 do it.
60 Rich