From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage ebuild cruft
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:16:14
1 On Saturday 30 April 2005 00:59, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:38:58 +0900
3 >
4 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Yep. That's the scanning of all installed packages for any
6 > > provided virtuals.
7 >
8 > Maybe that's a stupid idea, but I wonder whether removing empty
9 > PROVIDE files from the vardb could save some time here. I see
10 > that in grabfile(), if the file can't be opened, then an empty
11 > list is returned, so it would have the same behavior. Does
12 > reading an empty file takes more time than failing to open a
13 > non-existing one? (Yep, I don't know much about how filesystems
14 > actually work...)
15
16 real 0m9.925s # With
17 real 0m9.913s # Without
18
19 That's timings for 20 imports of portage. Can't really confirm either way from
20 those results. It might make a difference when the system cache is empty. My
21 as yet unnumbered virtuals glep would negate this altogether. ;)
22
23 Regards,
24 Jason Stubbs