From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RANT: Upgrade icu and KDE at once
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 10:29:09
1 Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Jörg Schaible wrote:
3 > > icu. The ebuild happily removes any trace of the old shared libs
4 > > with the result that half of the stuff that is *required* to build
5 > > kdelibs is now broken. The build aborts and leaves behind a broken
6 > > system. And this happened now not for the first time!
7
8 Tom Wijsman wrote:
9 > > > If you don't want that to happen, use package sets and exclusion.
10 > >
11 > > Wait - using default settings results in emerge leaving a broken
12 > > system, and your response is "take non-default actions to avoid
13 > > that" ?
14 >
15 > "in one run", I see no mention of "broken" in what I quoted here;
16 > don't pull it out of its context, it was just a suggestion.
17
18 The way I understood Jörg was that the greater context is that files
19 needed in later steps of an emerge were removed by earlier steps.
20
21 Even if this doesn't happen very regularly I think it's a problem
22 that it can happen at all. I guess the solution is known, but not
23 there yet?
26 //Peter