From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-server 1.0.99/1.1 ABI break
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 00:49:54
1 Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > So imho, that's a lot of unlikely conditions one should join to end
3 > with broken drivers, and i don't think you should care too much about
4 > it.
5
6 Thanks for your input.
7
8 > The ati --> {mach64,radeon,r128} change may make some of the above more
9 > likely to happen though: for instance, i have VIDEO_CARDS="ati dummy"
10 > on my laptop, and with 'ati' deprecation, only 'dummy' would get
11 > updated. But:
12 > - at the opposite of the xorg-x11 meta ebuild, a pkg_setup check
13 > xorg-server ("if hasq ati $VIDEO_CARDS; then eerror ...") makes sense,
14 > since it would die at the right time, before the drivers updates.
15
16 FYI, the video cards stuff makes use of USE_EXPAND. This means that we
17 don't use has/hasq, we do 'use video_cards_ati'.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Donine