From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 04:07:01
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 01:40:17AM -0600, Pete Gavin wrote:
4 > :
5 > : I've been looking at SWIG a bit, and I think it would be really
6 > : helpful for this stuff. That way, we might eventually be able to make
7 > : it so that most portage stuff is also available from perl, and anyone
8 > : who wants to access portage from perl may do so easily. (I know some
9 > : of you may cringe at this, but I happen to like perl :) but don't
10 > : worry, I like python equally... both have their uses)
11 >
12 > Curiousity on my part. Is there any reason why we're looking to step
13 > away from python? It appears as though the Linux/Python connection are
14 > here to stay. Especially with ESR's new CML2 project.
15
16 Gimme a link to that project please.
17
18 As we go
19 > forward, one won't even be able to rebuild the kernel w/out Python.
20 >
21 > Achim, have you looked at the freeze module for compiling the python
22 > bits for the embedded devices you're working on (instead of rewriting
23 > them in C++)?
24
25 No, can I make binaries for python scripts with that? The problem I see
26 for embedded
27 devices, is that python requires simply too much memory. If it is
28 possible to make standalone
29 binaries that do eighter require all the python modules nor the python
30 binarie, I would be intersted
31 how huge such a binary will be.
32
33 We had a discussion about allowing other languages like perl or tcl/tk
34 to be used for ebuild. And decided that
35 it makes more sense converting stable parts of python code to c++. Once
36 it's all c++ we can make modules
37 for other scripting languages. I personal prefer perl as a scripting
38 language and did not investigate much
39 time in learning python. But as long as daniel is the developer of
40 ebuild it is his right do choose his
41 preferend language for development I think.
42 Our biggest problem is still that we can not spend all our time in
43 gentoo development as long as we do not have
44 sponsors.
45
46 There is a install-gui in development that will use qt first, but it
47 will be designed in a manner that the gui
48 parts are separated from the configuration backend, so it should be easy
49 to write ncurses or gtk frontends too.
50 But do not expect that stuff next week. :-)
51
52 BTW: Jerry, are you still headbanging or did you get gentoo working now?
53
54 achim~