From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Gentoo is and will remain Free Software"
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:56:54
1 Luke-Jr a écrit :
2 > The xorg-x11 7.4
3 > metapackage also added a number of dependencies on non-Free fonts. There have
4 > been a number of other similar issues I've encountered over the past year.
5
6 I'll reply to that. The xorg-x11 meta package contains everything
7 upstreams considers important, including fonts.
8
9 With the latest patches in >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r3, X can work
10 _without_ any fonts at all. Old apps and toolkits (xterm, motif, tk,
11 Xaw, ...) will look ugly as hell but they should work.
12
13 In a nutshell, don't use the xorg-x11 meta.
14
15 Cheers
18 Rémi Cardona
19 LRI, INRIA