From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion: virtual/telnet
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:45:54
1 Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sunday 28 December 2003 03:34, Jason Wever wrote:
4 >> I don't believe our intention or goal is to proactively protect the user
5 >> from their own possible stupidity. Telnet is still rather viable for
6 >> things (think terminal servers) and has many applications where security
7 >> may not be a concern.
8
9 > Mostly, as an administrator/power user, telnet is an absolute must for testing
10 > services.
11
12 Although people often tend to use and think of telnet as being
13 plain-text, bare TCP, it really is a protocol, and so it would probably
14 be best to use the far-more-useful-for-that-purpose netcat program
15 (net-analyzer/netcat).
16
17 > The block-telnet with a virtual/telnet is a good idea. A simple 1 line reason
18 > for the block printed when portage shows the block would make things even
19 > better.
20 > Yes, it's work for a dev, but if it saves a multitude of questions later isn't
21 > it worth the effort now?
22
23 Adding a block-telnet package to the system class seems like an
24 excessive amount of trouble to inconvenience users excessively.
27 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list