From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 00:17:40
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:47:07 -0500
3 > Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> It seems like we could be up to ebuild-kde4-3.2 in six months.
5 >
6 > Why on earth do people think that? Of all the crazy being thrown
7 > around, this is the only one wearing a tutu.
10 I suppose I'm exaggerating a little deliberately to make a point. It
11 isn't so much that I don't think that people designing the extensions
12 won't use sense, but that we're still potentially facing multiple new
13 file extensions per year. Maybe not 15, but certainly 1-3. That can
14 add up fast. If we had been doing this all along then we'd probably
15 expect there to be upwards of 10-20 file extensions in portage today.
16
17 It just seems like it isn't the best solution. You can get the same
18 effect by just sticking something in a comment line a few lines into the
19 ebuild in a fixed position. Sure, the file might need to be read twice,
20 but unless the reading takes place widely separated in time the file is
21 going to be in the cache the second time around. With proper caching
22 you only need to scan files that have changed - we can't have that many
23 daily commits, can we?
24
25 I'll probably refrain from commenting further - I trust the council to
26 weigh all the options and go with whatever makes the most sense.
27 However, I did want to make it clear that I don't think that the folks
28 advocating this approach are out to release 47 EAPI releases per year or
29 anything...