From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pid 1 design
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:00:35
1 On 08/09/2012 04:02 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Luca Barbato wrote:
3 >> Repeat after me: having your first process require anything more
4 >> than libc is stupid and dangerous.
5 >
6 > Why do you say?
7
8 Because libc supposedly should be stable, other libraries are a bit more
9 prone to radical changes and other annoyances. You wouldn't like to
10 reboot your system if you replace/update dbus or glib, do you?
11
12 > And why is libc different from other libraries, say libuuid or
13 > libext2fs? I mean: Why allow pid 1 to require libc, it could
14 > just be statically linked.
15
16 Actually statically linked initial process would be another reason why
17 you'd like to NOT use large libraries and in large number.
18
19 Obviously if you are thinking about desktop and not system in which
20 replacing kernels should be done w/out downtime (qnx and some linux
21 patches let you do that) it isn't a huge concern.
22
23 Yet I'm not used to have to reboot after issuing emerge -u world and
24 most of the times I don't have even to restart X...
25
26 lu