From: Chandler Carruth <chandlerc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 04:31:23
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 12:36 -0600, Joe McCann wrote:
6 >>For the record, the eds flag was
7 >>added as a default flag because every 3rd gnome user would file bugs or
8 >>complain via forums because they installed gnome, found no
9 >>evolution-data-server integration, and then be bummed when they had to
10 >>recompile packages again. This whole thread seems to have come from a
11 >>misunderstanding of how use.defaults work and 20 min of boredom.
16 >I'm relatively ignorant of USE Flag intricacies, so please forgive me if
17 >things don't 'fit'.
18 >
19 >Is it feasible and or useful to have a 'meta-flag' that that enables all
20 >the 'necessary' USE flags for a given group of packages? So something
21 >like USE='meta-<flagname>'.
22 >This has the distinction of being a meta-flag, and as such nothing
23 >really gets turned on 'behind the users back', advanced users can look
24 >into it and see what is being enabled by it and USE='-flag' for the
25 >flags the users doesn't need/want, and expert users would just not use
26 >it. This way meta packages like KDE and Gnome can have their own
27 >meta-flag to do what the need with.
28 >
29 >It also seems to me that more things will need to 'just work' as our
30 >user-base becomes larger and, on average, less advanced. We could amend
31 >the desktop guide to include something like USE='meta-gnome' to the
32 >gnome section. And similar to other meta-flags.
33 >
34 >This may add an unnecessary level of complexity to the use flag system,
35 >but also may be very useful.
39 It occurs to me that this could be (to an extent) accomplished by having
40 a few more "specialized" subprofiles for x86: base, desktop, gnome, and kde.
41
42 base - as the name implies, a _basic_ starting point... very similar to
43 server profiles, etc. veeery minimal.
44 desktop - almost identical to the current USE flags -- what Joe Q. User
45 "should" have to be safe, and have programs function as expected.
46 gnome / kde - slight specializations of the above to tailor the use
47 flags for one desktop environ or the other..
48
49 Problems?
50 1) heavier usage and depth of the profile, making where things come in
51 more and more obscure.
52 2) could lead to proliferation of environment tailored "desktop"
53 derivatives. (xfce, fluxbox, the list could go on) This may not be a
54 problem as many distros have successfully divided between KDE and Gnome,
55 and the base / desktop profiles would allow users ways to customize, as
56 always.
57 3) there is _no_ functionality added by any of this, only
58 "user-friendliness" after a fashion, and as such, perhaps it should all
59 be chucked in favor of having users competently declare their own global
60 USE flags during the install, however I doubt that'll get very far. *shrug*
61
62 I'm certain there are more/bigger problems with this than I'm seeing,
63 but as an alternative to USE-flag grouping/meta structure/etc, i thought
64 i'd toss out the very flexible profile system we already have available
65 (afaik). =] Profiles are I think underused, but there may well be _good_
66 reasons for that, so just my 2cents.
67
68 -Chandler Carruth, yet another gentoo user...
69 --
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list