From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 00:56:00
1 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> posted
2 1242777068.30374.30.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Wed, 20 May 2009
3 02:51:08 +0300:
4
5 > It is about getting popular packages (based on various metrics) into the
6 > official tree for easy access and with known quality.
7
8 Perhaps some concrete examples of packages you have in mind might be
9 useful. I list in the footnote[1] a couple I originally merged from
10 sunrise, that are now in-tree. I that the type of package you had in
11 mind? What /about/ sunrise packages? Will you be working with them to
12 bring "popular" packages from there in-tree too?
13
14 Of course in your case the ebuilds aren't in the tree yet, but bug
15 numbers for apps you believe fit the "popular" description might be
16 useful. "Popular packages" is a nebulous enough term on its own, that
17 some examples might help.
18
19 Also, an example or two of what you might consider a borderline case,
20 that you might consider adding if the load on the proposed project wasn't
21 too high already, but would reject if it was. Feel free to add comments
22 or explanations on how you came to that conclusion, both for the popular
23 and borderline examples, as well, if you think it necessary.
24
25 .....
26
27 [1] I still use sys-apps/moreutils.
28
29 The other one was www-plugins/swfdec-mozilla and its dep media-libs-
30 swfdec, which I had some trouble with and eventually unmerged in favor of
31 a couple of youtube downloaders, since youtube was what I mainly used
32 swfdec for anyway.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman