From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] musl doesn't provide execinfo.h
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 01:25:46
1 On 3/23/2020 04:21, Jaco Kroon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/713668 relates.
5 >
6 >  * Searching for /usr/include/execinfo.h ...
7 > sys-libs/glibc-2.29-r7 (/usr/include/execinfo.h)
8 >
9 > As I see I can either add an explicit depend on glibc which I'd prefer
10 > not to.  Or someone from the musl team could possibly assist on how to
11 > get the backtrace() set of calls on musl please?
12 >
13 > Alternatively I need to add a test and simply path debug.c to only
14 > provide stub function for print_backtrace(FILE *fp) that just does
15 > fprintf(fp, "No backtrace() available to print a backtrace.\n");
16 >
17 > Suggestions?
18 >
19 > Kind Regards,
20 > Jaco
21
22 Some quick searching on google, it looks like the cleanest fix for that bug
23 is dahdi-tools needs to be patched to only include execinfo.h or only use
24 backtrace() on glibc-based systems, and that patch then sent to the
25 dahdi-tools upstream developers for inclusion in a future release. That
26 way, we're not dragging that patch around forever in the tree or in the musl
27 overlay.
28
29 It also doesn't look like musl itself will ever implement execinfo.h or
30 backtrace(), per this message in 2015 from the lead musl developer:
31 https://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/2015/04/09/3
34 Joshua Kinard
35 Gentoo/MIPS
36 kumba@g.o
37 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
38 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
39
40 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
41 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
42
43 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic