From: massimiliano meschia <m.meschia@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] thanks
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:48:52
1 thank you very much for your good work on Gentoo Linux!
2
3 I'm a "self-made" sys-admin and web developer.
4 I'm from Italy and my job is servers administration and php/mysql based web
5 development at Interzone srl - Milan - Italy, where Linux-based solutions are
6 growing day by day.
7
8 tired of Mandrake's gadgets (and RedHat before), last June I tried Gentoo
9 Linux
10 because I had to install two Compaq Rack servers and I didn't want another rpm
11 installation...
12 so I tried Gentoo on my home-use-server and I was so satisfied that few days
13 later I switched to Gentoo even on my Compaq Presario 716EA laptop.
14 With your detailed installation guide there wasn't any problem to setup the
15 machine and after two days compiling the new system was up and running faster
16 than before and also more stable.
17 So I decided to setup the two servers with Gentoo Linux... and they are
18 running
19 fine.
20 After that I set up another machine for my friend... and another one for my
21 girlfriend...
22 then also the office file server switched to gentoo linux (from mandrake),
23 then another one became an office print server, gentoo of course and then...
24 I'm setting up a gentoo linux client at my office and the next will be a
25 firewall/proxy server... at my office.
26
27 Gentoo Linux is very fast and stable althought I'm an upgrade maniac.
28 I think it is much easier to use and configure than MDK or RH if you are not
29 afraid of command line.
30 "emerge", "etc-update", "rc-scripts" and /etc/conf.d are very simple and
31 usefull
32 /etc is not full of unusefull scripts.
33 all the system is very clean and well organized, I like it.
34 I've been using Linux since 1997 (my first was RH 5.1) but I've learned a lot
35 of
36 things since I use Gentoo, because I have to understand better what I'm doing.
37
38 well, I'm without doubt an entusiastic gentoo linux user!
39
40 At the end, I hope to please you with my letter... I don't know how to give
41 you
42 much more help to keep on going on this way (now I'm not a software
43 developer),
44 may be my testing and experience is usefull.
45
46 I've made just a little experience with Gentoo Linux...
47 I've not found any relevant bug, just some little problems during the install
48 process:
49
50 this is my installation report:
51
52 home-server:
53 gentoo-1.2 upgraded to 1.4rc_1
54 amd k6-2 350
55 160 MB ram
56 HDD 5GB, 40GB, 60GB
57 2 isa network cards 3com etherlinkIII
58 SVGA MGA G100
59 SB16
60 canon bjc4550
61 kernel-2.4.18
62 services: iptables, ipmasq, bind, sendmail, vsftpd, cupsd, apache, php, mysql,
63 sshd, webmin, samba... and kde-3.0.3
64
65 with 1.2 the install process stopped during 1st stage, failed to compile
66 glibc,
67 so I re-run scripts/bootstrap.sh and all things went well.
68 during the upgrade to 1.4rc_1 the update-step3.sh failed to start compiling
69 anything (didn't find any compiler), so I manually re-merged gcc and then
70 (after 3 days working) the system was up and totally upgraded.
71 gcc: -march=k6-2 -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
72 mysql must recompile without -fomit-frame-pointer
73
74 my laptop:
75 gentoo-1.2
76 Compaq Presario 716EA
77 AMD Athlon 1200
78 256MB ram
79 HDD 20GB
80 DVD-CDRW
81 kernel-2.4.18
82 services: apache, php, mysql, webmin, vsftpd, samba, kde
83 install 1.2: nothing to say... perfect!
84 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe
85
86 my girlfriend's:
87 gentoo-1.2
89 192MB ram
90 HDD 4GB
91 MGA G200
92 AWE32
93 well... samba & kde!
94 kernel-2.4.19
95 install 1.2: slow & good
96 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe
97
98 my friend's
99 gentoo-1.2
100 Duron 700
101 256MB ram
102 HDD 10GB
103 Riva TNT2
104 Via audio
105 AHA2910 pci
106 CDRW scsi
107 samba & kde
108 kernel-2.4.18
109 install 1.2: without problems
110 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe
111
112 office file server:
113 gentoo-1.4rc_1
114 PIII 733
115 512MB ram
116 RAID adaptec 2100s
117 2HDD IBM 9GB raid 1
118 2HDD Quantum 36GB raid 1
119 services: bind, sendmail, apache, php, mysql, webmin, samba, cupsd, vsftpd,
120 sshd, netatalk
121 kernel-2.4.19
122 install 1.4rc_1: failed compiling glibc, re-run scripts/bootstrap.sh and all
123 ok
124 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
125
126 office print server:
127 gentoo-1.4rc_1
128 pentium 133
129 128MB ram
130 2HDD 2G
131 additional printer port card
132 modem
133 services: cupsd, hylafax (not yet set up), sshd
134 kernel-2.4.19
135 install 1.2: failed compiling glibc, then I got 1.4rc_1
136 nothing to say: slow :)
137 gcc: -march=pentium -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
140 office client:
141 gentoo-1.4rc_1
142 AMD k6-2 400
143 128MB ram
144 HDD 20GB
145 RIVA tnt2
146 als120
147 CDRW
148 kde, samba
149 kernel-2.4.19
150 install 1.4rc_1: very difficult! 1.2 failed during bootstrap, 1.4 stage3
151 precompiled failed compiling everything, then I changed the DIMM...
152 gcc: -march=k6-2 -03 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
153
154 1st rack:
155 gentoo-1.2
156 Compaq DL360
157 2 PIII 800
158 512MB ram
159 2 HDD 36GB raid 1
160 kernel-2.4.18-smp with quota patch
161 services: apache, mysql, php, webmin, vsftpd, sshd
162 install 1.2: very fast
163 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe
164
165 2nd rack:
166 gentoo-1.2
167 Compaq DL 360
168 1 PIII 800
169 512MB ram
170 2 HDD 18GB raid 1
171 kernel-2.4.18 with quota patch
172 services: bind (more than 110 domain names), sendmail (primary MX for those
173 domain names), majordomo, webmin
174 install 1.2: very fast
175 gcc: -march=i686 -03 -pipe
176 "quota" should work with sendmail and procmail spool, but it doesn't well when
177 the server load and mail spool grows
178
179 and the next one will be:
180
181 firewall, proxy, local nameserver, mail smart host...
182 gentoo-1.4rc_1
183 celeron 700
184 128MB ram
185 HDD 10GB
188 best regards
192 _ ___
193 | |_ | massimiliano meschia
194 | |/ /| m.meschia@×××××××××.it
195 |_|___| responsabile sistemi - web development
196 interzone srl - via torino 51 - 20123 milano
197 tel. 02 89012105 - fax 02 89010218