From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New tool: merge-driver-ekeyword automatically resolves git merge conflicts involving KEYWORDS=...
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 21:52:44
1 On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 22:54:45 -0500
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > tl;dr: In app-portage/gentoolkit-0.5.1 there's a new tool I wrote,
5 > called merge-driver-ekeyword that can automatically resolve git merge
6 > conflicts involving the KEYWORDS=... line in ebuilds.
7 >
8 > To use the merge driver, configure your gentoo.git as such:
9 >
10 > gentoo.git/.git/config:
11 >
12 > [merge "keywords"]
13 > name = KEYWORDS merge driver
14 > driver = merge-driver-ekeyword %O %A %B %P
15 >
16 > gentoo.git/.git/info/attributes:
17 >
18 > *.ebuild merge=keywords
19 >
20 > With that configured, git merge conflicts on the KEYWORDS=... line will
21 > be resolved automatically (e.g. during git pull --rebase).
22 >
23 Excellent, this will eliminate one source of annoyance with our
24 workflow. Perhaps we should document this in the wiki:
25 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
26
27 That way new developers, or developers setting up a new machine will
28 have instructions on setting this up.