From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:23:09
1 Hi again.
2 Thank you all for your input so far, which I will evaluate together with
3 my trusted mentourage, er, the council. I'd just like to clarify a
4 couple of things that seem to have left a few of you confused:
5
6 1. The Proctors is not a Userrel Sub project. The Code of Conduct would
7 apply to everyone choosing to participate in the community, developers
8 and users alike.
9
10 2. The Proctors is not a new name for Devrel. They would fall under
11 Devrel territory, but as a newly formed group under the leadership and
12 supervision of the Council. A decision as to numbers and electing
13 proctors has not yet been reached -- we are working out these details as
14 we speak. (My suggestion here is to select a group of people from a wide
15 variety of backgrounds within Gentoo, taking care to avoid 'old boys
16 clubs' and cliques)
17
18 3. The proctors would be given the access required to execute any
19 suspensions or similar actions.
20
21 4. By Gentoo fora/Official Communication Channels we refer to all
22 official channels of communication; MLs, IRC, Forums, IM, Bugzilla etc.
23 (This does NOT mean we are replacing guidelines for sub-fora -- the CoC
24 would be in addition to IRC and Forum guidelines).
25
26 5. The CoC would replace the current etiquette policy in the devrel
27 handbook.
28
29 6. We intentionally choose to leave the CoC somewhat vague in places,
30 simply as we'd never finish were we to list every hypoethetical offense
31 someone could make.
32
33 7. It is up to the proctors and the Council to decide on how to best
34 deal with appeals and suchlike.
35
36 8. I am not a proctor, nor am I guaranteed a seat as a proctor should
37 this proposal be voted in by the Council. Nor am I infallible, and your
38 continued feedback is important to us and the development of Gentoo's
39 future Code of Conduct. I also understand that the timeframe for
40 peer-review is shorter than what you have all expected (and wished for),
41 and I fully understand the annoyance in regards to this. It's shorter
42 than what we had originally aimed for.
43
44 Kind Regards,
45 Christel (who would have asked the foundation for funding to hire
46 leather clad kung-fu fighter babes and called them Christel's Angels
47 were it all up to her)