From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: Proxy-maintainer project
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:10:11
1 On 03/18/2010 05:29 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Dear fellow developers,
3 >
4 > A new project is about to start so I am requesting your feedback
5 >
6 > The primary goal of the Proxy Maintainers[1] project is to create and maintain
7 > relationships between developers and users in order to ensure packages in the
8 > Gentoo tree stay up to date. This involves a few main tasks:
9
10 Also it is a nice idea, i dont think, it will help Gentoo in the longer term. As i can see with the
11 Sunrise project, most users only want to get their ebuild initially into portage/sunrise. They also
12 listen to suggestions, improve their code and read a document to get access. But in most cases, they
13 only do the initial commit or initial commit+some version bumps before they leave again and the
14 ebuild is unmaintained.
15 I dont think, we want to proxy for those users, since this would result in either the proxy
16 maintaining the ebuilds or many more maintainer-needed ebuild in main tree.
17 The next group of users are those, who actively maintain their ebuild, also help other users and do
18 this for a longer time. Usually those users get a mentor offer sooner or later and then become a
19 Gentoo Developer. So for those users, who are willing to help and can do this for longer time
20 (requirements for Gentoo devs), sunrise is already a good starting point and base to get in.
21 The only case, where there might be a (minimal) profit are those rare users, who initially commit
22 their ebuild and maintain exactly and only this ebuild for a longer time. There might be 2 or 3
23 users doing it this way, so creating just another project for this idea is imho a bit too much work
24 for minimal profit.
25
26 I think, it might be better to send the interested users so Sunrise, where they can learn the basics
27 and afterwards you could still offer them to proxy the ebuild (sunrise has an extra branch for proxy
28 maintainers).
29 A much better idea is imho to make the idea and way of Sunrise more public and easier to see without
30 searching (Homepage, FAQ, Forums), so interested users can find it easier. In addition, every dev,
31 who is interested in proxy maintaining something can do this via Sunrise.
36 Thomas Sachau
37
38 Gentoo Linux Developer