From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Abuse by gentoo developer
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:17:01
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 > The will not allow it and I will not allow someone to go fooling in
5 > an ebuild I maintain. Not trying to be an ass here but we have
6 > something called respect for others when it comes to the tree and
7 > what they maintain.
8
9 Poor Jory. Respect isn't something that is owed to you; its something
10 that is shared between two or more people. Looking down on people and
11 being territorial (especially with something you don't actually own)
12 doesn't help.
13
14 I can't help but laugh at the idea that a dev on an F/OSS project would
15 get mad because somebody wanted to *improve* the code. If you can't take
16 the heat, don't join a F/OSS project...
17
18 > You want to curse me and tell me you think your gonna go playing in
19 > my vpopmail ebuild
20
21 Wow, now its *his* vpopmail ebuild. And here I thought everything was
22 copyrighted to the Gentoo Foundation.
23
24 > you can take your bullshit upstream I am black
25 > listing you on my filters so I do not need to read your bullshit
26
27 Sadly, this sort of childish behavior isn't isolated to this particular
28 dev. Its the equivalent of Cartman (Southpark) saying "screw you guys,
29 I'm going home". And it makes the speaker look just as mature.
30
31 > Umm look I'm just trying to help here, and I really feel like I've
32 > been treated very unfairly by this developer. I'm working hard to
33 > try to make vpopmail AND gentoo better products, I'd really
34 > appreciate not being told on things I know very well that I'm right
35 > about, and getting severe reactions like this when I prove that my
36 > statements were indeed correct and that I'm only trying to help.
37
38 Most of the Gentoo devs I've dealt with are very talented and very
39 likable people. They volunteer in a very professional manner and
40 understand that with their developer status comes a few responsibilities
41 (common curtesy being one of them).
42
43 But there does seem to be a vocal minority of asshats who like to carve
44 out their little fiefdoms and 'fend off invaders' at all costs. :(
45
46 > I really feel that this response whas wholly unjustified, and that I
47 > did nothing to warrant it. Please advise.
48
49 As Mike mentioned: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/
50
51 Hopefully, you'll stick around and help out again in the future.
52
53 Nathan
54
63 --