From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:58:39
1 On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:38:20 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Basically that one version of the package is now maintained by the
5 > arch team. Yes, I know they won't maintain it. The only people that
6 > impacts are those who use the arch, who are free to join the arch
7 > team and help out. My sense is that they'd prefer having it around
8 > to having it deleted.
9
10 That's a bit simplistic. What if said package or its newer version is
11 required for dozens of other packages, or if the old ebuild needs an
12 outdated eclass, or if the old version has a security issue? You can't
13 just "assign" all of the old KDE ebuilds to an arch team, for instance,
14 or keep texlive 2010 in place because you have "delegated"
15 responsibility for it.
16
17 Also, every time *I* look at eshowkw's output for a package I maintain
18 (which I assume every ebuild developer does or they should hand in
19 their badge) and see a lingering old version, it really itches. The
20 mere knowledge that I have "delegated" its maintenance to someone else
21 wouldn't make me feel better at all. Amplify that with reverse
22 dependencies.
23
24 > The reason why this thread seems to go on forever is that it seems
25 > like the users of the minor archs don't like the status quo.
26
27 Examples? :)
28
29 > >> That leaves the choice with the minor arch team, with deletion
30 > >> being the default.
31 > >
32 > > Yes, but "understaffed" so nobody is making any choices here.
33 >
34 > Well, if they make no choice then the maintainer deletes the package.
35 > That's what you want, right? The package would only stay around if
36 > the minor arch asked them to. If they don't do that, then nobody can
37 > complain.
38 >
39 > However, I don't think it makes sense to enact changes like these
40 > unless the minor arch teams actually speak up about wanting the
41 > changes. If they don't I'd be inclined to just clarify that
42 > maintainers are welcome to trim old stable versions on minor archs if
43 > the bugs are older than n days.
44
45 That still leaves maintenance problems on dependent packages and
46 eclasses and security issues and what not.