From: robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage metadata
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:34:42
1 I've been looking into writing some code to get useful information out
2 of the portage system. Things like lists of packages using a given
3 USE flag and so forth. (see bug 16331 for something I wrote already)
4
5 Currently I was just wanting to stick to parsing all the ebuilds and
6 data in the tree directly, despite the lack of speed that involves.
7
8 The data in PORTDIR/metadata/cache appears to be promising, but I can't
9 find any defined format document on it.
10 It also appears to be a duplicate of /var/cache/edb/dep/ for the most
11 part.
12
13 Digging around google I get this from the google cache only:
14 http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:Y_c08C4PKQwC:www.gentoo.org/~karltk/projects/munchie/submission-guide.html+gentoo+ebuild+submission+guide&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
15 This appears to be slightly out of date tho.
16
17 1. Is there any defined format to the metadata?
18 2. For later speedups, is anybody looking into using actual database
19 formats for the data? (GDBM/BDB/NDBM/etc.)
20
21 Once I get a little more time on my hands from school, I'd like to prove
22 my mettle as a developer to the gentoo community and join up as a
23 developer.
24 (For those interested in the meantime:
25 http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2.resume )
28 Robin Hugh Johnson
29 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
30 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
31 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
32 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85