From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenRC & baselayout-2 meets Gentoo
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:12:03
1 On Thursday 20 March 2008 06:59:24 Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > I'll be working on the migration guide with Cardoe (and possibly Roy, if
3 > we can tag-team him into submission). As much of a pain as migration
4 > will be, we'll definitely need a howto. Fun, fun.
5
6 I already provide documentation with commands in example config files and man
7 pages that cover nearly every aspect on OpenRC and all it's commands.
8
9 The nice thing about not being a Gentoo dev means I don't feel the urge to
10 write a migration how to. However, here's a really good primer.
11
12 1) Install OpenRC
13 2) Review all updated files in /etc/conf.d/ and /etc/rc.conf [1] [2]
14 3) If using a "volume" such as LVM, you'll find an appropriate init script
15 in /etc/init.d that you need to add to the boot runlevel.
16 4) Carry on as normal [3]
17
18 Thanks
19
20 Roy
21
22 [1] The case of variable names has been changed from UPPER to lower. This is
23 for a few reasons (removes confusion vs environment vars, looks nicer).
24 However, *existing* UPPER case vars should still work.
25 [2] Paludis users will need to ensure that the init scripts checkfs and
26 checkroot are removed. I don't care whose "bug" this is, but neither side
27 wants to fix it.
28 [3] A reboot is currently needed as for some reason state data isn't migrated
29 from baselayout-1. This is probably due to OpenRC being split from baselayout
30 and the code is pretty much the same here. Maybe some plucky Gentoo ebuild
31 dev can step up and fix it.
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list